Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Ultra High Performance Concrete

Ultra High Performance Concrete (UHP) is a very interesting material. Standard concrete slabs for things such as roads or driveways are designed to resist a minimum stress of about 5000 psi. This material however, is designed to resist stresses of 21800 psi. A study on this material can be found here. The conductors of this study tested the effects of different lengths of steel fibers in the material. During this study, they found that, without cracking, the different lengths of fiber didn't effect the overall strength of the material. When the material started cracking, the longer fibers actually bridged the cracks and kept up the strength of the material better than the shorter fiber. This is something I would like to include in my paper. While it doesn't use composite fibers like the other studies I have read about, it can still be considered a flexible concrete. I wanted to write about the possibility of writing about using concrete in ways that it couldn't normally be used, like beams and girders. This UHP concrete allows for a very different use of concrete in those ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment